Skip to main content

Fibromyalgia

Until a month or two ago, I had almost forgotten what fibromyalgia is like.
I was diagnosed with this chronic disease almost three years ago. When asked to explain what it is, the easiest way is this: Fibromyalgia is hurting, everywhere, all the time.
In truth, it's more than that. It's fatigue, in every limb and muscle. It's not being able to get out of bed, from pain, exhaustion, depression. It's paralyzing at times. It's so much more than can be explained in words. Fibromyalgia is the reason why, when I poke my brothers, it hurts my finger more than it hurts them. Fibromyalgia is stubbing my toe, and feeling the excruciating pain for five full minutes. I don't eat sugar, don't eat wheat, all to lessen the symptoms of my fibro.

For years, I suffered terribly from it. I ached, I hurt, I was constantly overcome with uncontrollable fatigue. When I escaped my poison, threw myself into my therapy and learned to have my own friends, the pain started to fade. I changed what I ate. It's been almost a year since I felt fibro-y. But this is what winter does. The cold seeps into my bones. The wind chills me to the core. I get so tired it hurts to move, and my head is constantly pounding, throbbing.

I love the rain, the smell, the feel, I love the cloudy skies and slight chill in the air. But this disease, it's changed the way I feel about it. Not because I like those things any less, but because now winter is so much more than that. Winter is wearing four layers and two blankets and still shivering. Winter is dizziness when I stand, or sit up, or move too quickly. Winter is crying, because it's hurts to move.

This is something I will have to deal with for the rest of my life. My next task is learning how to cope.

Popular posts from this blog

TOP

 Miscarriage. Abortion. Non-viable fetus. Such complicated names, when they all mean the same thing. Loss. Disappointment. Fear.  We knew for weeks, before the procedure actually took place. And I suppose that made it slightly more bearable. More...manageable? It wasn't easy. Was it hard? I've gone through harder things. Other people seemed to struggle more than I did. Am I broken? I think I'm okay. As much as I try to convince others, I really think I am okay. I'll survive, I'll get through this, I have no doubt about it. If I made it through all my past shit, I can make it through this, easy. I'm grateful for my support system. Which was stronger and wider than I previously thought. Grateful that I didn't have to go through it alone, that L was there with me the whole time.  We'll get through this. I know we will. And when we finally have our own family, we'll remember this fetus, Eddie, and be okay.

"The Maze"

I've been blogging on and off for a few years. Even before then, I was writing. Whether it was stories in my notebook or scribbles on scraps of paper, I didn't care. I've found things that I've written from over ten years ago! I'm 18, and online, I'll go by Bex. Some people might know me, or recognize me or my story, but that's okay. I don't mind people knowing who I am, but I don't want to publicize my identity either. I've recently decided to start blogging again, and this time, I'm going to share it. I want to help people. I want to guide others who are in my situation, let them know that they're not alone. I've been through hell and back, and I believe I can use my experience in a way that will benefit myself and others. Where do I start? Let's start with the name of this blog. "Escape the maze." This is a term I have recently started using, to describe my battle with depression. I was 12 years old, when I fir...

I'm a writer

"I'm a writer." This is something I say often, but it's not always easily understood. I said that to someone once, and she replied with, "Well, what does that mean?" How can I explain what it is to be a writer? For me, being a writer is not being able to talk. It's preferring email or letters or text over a phone call, because I feel so much more comfortable with a pen in my hand or a keyboard on my lap than I do when I have to find words to speak. What defines me as a writer? For a while I struggled with this question. What makes me a writer? So I sometimes get the urge to write my feelings. Isn't that normal? Doesn't everyone else feel like that too? The answer came to me, unsurprisingly, during a writing session. I realized, the difference between me and someone else, can mainly be boiled down to two things. The first is, I feel it. I feel my words, they flow through me, and when I start typing I cannot stop. I feel the words in my v...