Skip to main content

Flowing Through Time

Every day passes so incredibly slowly. Yet the week zooms by, and before I know it, a month has passed. Time is relative, I've heard, and changes based on what you're doing on any given day. I feel like just yesterday I was counting down my six weeks, but now I'm down to three.
I realize, life passes by without even letting you know. If you don't pay attention, you won't even notice. Find something to do that will make each day meaningful. Don't let yourself fall into a routine. Schedules are good, but if every day is the same as the last, you'll never make any memories. Nothing will signify one day versus the next, and your life will become a blur.
That's what I'm experiencing right now. I'm trying to make each day count, to do something new, something different. Meet new people, trying new things. Because really, if you don't do any of that, what do you have? If I don't manage to put a smile on someone's face today, even if it's just myself, what have I accomplished?
One year, three years, have zoomed past incredibly quickly. I am now over one year clean from self-harm. Next month, it will have been three years since I escaped my ex. And where am I now? I can't even describe how much has changed. Life and love, friendships and breakups, it's all happened and passed, but I recall every bit. I recognize how much has happened in these months, how much has transformed about me, about each of my friends and family members. I will never go back there. I have learned to trust myself, and that's the best thing anyone can do. I won't say my faith in people has been restored, or that my trust is as easily gained as it once was. But I am on my way. I won't let myself be destroyed like I once was, and I won't try to handle it on my own.
I know the best thing, and hardest thing, is to ask for help. For many years, I didn't. I held my secrets, kept them close, never revealed them, and I suffered terribly for them.
Life is unpredictable. Maybe I'll go back to the place I was at once, and I might struggle or deal with depression and anxiety yet again. But this time, I'm stronger. I'm learning from my experiences. I'm taking my days one at a time, making every one count. Because if every day counts, how can life not?

Popular posts from this blog

TOP

 Miscarriage. Abortion. Non-viable fetus. Such complicated names, when they all mean the same thing. Loss. Disappointment. Fear.  We knew for weeks, before the procedure actually took place. And I suppose that made it slightly more bearable. More...manageable? It wasn't easy. Was it hard? I've gone through harder things. Other people seemed to struggle more than I did. Am I broken? I think I'm okay. As much as I try to convince others, I really think I am okay. I'll survive, I'll get through this, I have no doubt about it. If I made it through all my past shit, I can make it through this, easy. I'm grateful for my support system. Which was stronger and wider than I previously thought. Grateful that I didn't have to go through it alone, that L was there with me the whole time.  We'll get through this. I know we will. And when we finally have our own family, we'll remember this fetus, Eddie, and be okay.

"The Maze"

I've been blogging on and off for a few years. Even before then, I was writing. Whether it was stories in my notebook or scribbles on scraps of paper, I didn't care. I've found things that I've written from over ten years ago! I'm 18, and online, I'll go by Bex. Some people might know me, or recognize me or my story, but that's okay. I don't mind people knowing who I am, but I don't want to publicize my identity either. I've recently decided to start blogging again, and this time, I'm going to share it. I want to help people. I want to guide others who are in my situation, let them know that they're not alone. I've been through hell and back, and I believe I can use my experience in a way that will benefit myself and others. Where do I start? Let's start with the name of this blog. "Escape the maze." This is a term I have recently started using, to describe my battle with depression. I was 12 years old, when I fir...

I'm a writer

"I'm a writer." This is something I say often, but it's not always easily understood. I said that to someone once, and she replied with, "Well, what does that mean?" How can I explain what it is to be a writer? For me, being a writer is not being able to talk. It's preferring email or letters or text over a phone call, because I feel so much more comfortable with a pen in my hand or a keyboard on my lap than I do when I have to find words to speak. What defines me as a writer? For a while I struggled with this question. What makes me a writer? So I sometimes get the urge to write my feelings. Isn't that normal? Doesn't everyone else feel like that too? The answer came to me, unsurprisingly, during a writing session. I realized, the difference between me and someone else, can mainly be boiled down to two things. The first is, I feel it. I feel my words, they flow through me, and when I start typing I cannot stop. I feel the words in my v...